Best Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service and Cost In Iowa City
Mobile Mechanics of Iowa City Iowa City
Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store service near Iowa City IA: Are you looking for Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store service near Iowa City IA? Mobile Mechanics of Iowa City Iowa City, will install the right truck hitch or tow hitch for your vehicle. Cost? Free estimates! Send us a message or call us today. Best Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service around Iowa City IA. We serve Iowa City IA and other areas. Get a Free Quote Now!
TRAILER HITCH INSTALLATION - IN-STORE SERVICE IN IOWA CITY IA
IOWA CITY TRAILER HITCH INSTALLATION – IN-STORE
Trailer Hitch Installation At Mobile Mechanics of Iowa City Iowa City
Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store service near Iowa City IA: Looking for a specific trailer hitch? Our trained professionals at Mobile Mechanics of Iowa City Iowa City will install the right truck hitch or tow hitch for your vehicle. Shop for receiver hitches online or in Iowa City IA at Mobile Mechanics of Iowa City Iowa City. For a quick reference to which trailer hitch you need for your vehicle, add your information below for an instant hitch installation quote including a guide to help you select the proper type of towing hitch for your needs, custom made for your vehicle.
Lifetime Unlimited Warranty
Any Mobile Mechanics of Iowa City Iowa City location in Iowa City IA guarantees free replacement (including shipping and labor costs) of the receiver hitch for any reason, with no limitation for any damage, including collision, corrosion, accidental overload, jackknifing and even theft of the vehicle.
Free Towing Inspection
Not sure what you need? Bring in your vehicle and we’ll give you a free towing inspection. Use our online towing glossary to learn more about hitches and towing.
Trailer Hitch Wiring Service Plan
Ready to tow a trailer? We have tow vehicles, trailer wiring and lights available locally and online. Our exclusive Mobile Mechanics of Iowa City Iowa City wiring service plan covers all of your wiring for 2 years. Any Mobile Mechanics of Iowa City Iowa City location in Iowa City IA will honor your wiring service plan – even if the dog chews it off!
Find Hitch Accessories
Mobile Mechanics of Iowa City Iowa City offers thousands of hitch accessories including trailer hitch balls, ball mounts and hitch covers. We also provide free and valuable tow hitch safety
Towing & Trailer Experts
Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store service near Iowa City IA: However, just getting a hitch by itself won’t provide you with the flexibility to tow you’ll need some extra towing parts. Parts like a trailer ball and ball mount, wiring, and safety chains to really make towing an enjoyable experience instead of a travel nightmare. Towing a trailer is not as straightforward as hooking up to your hitch and hitting the road. There are several things that you’ll need to take into consideration before you’re ready to properly tow your stuff safely and effectively.
Because of these added requirements, we’ve provided a short overview of what you’ll need to know before you head out on your adventures across Iowa City IA or the country.
We hope this article alleviates some of the mystery with trailer hitches and helps you in choosing the correct hitch for your towing needs.
The Benefits of Using an Adjustable Trailer Hitch
Why should you use adjustable trailer hitches?
Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store service near Iowa City IA: Buying adjustable trailer hitches is a more convenient and sensible option than purchasing fixed trailer hitches for one big reason: having an adjustable trailer hitch allows you to haul many types and sizes of trailers behind your vehicle.
If you own several towing vehicles and multiple types of trailers, you used to have to purchase different types of hitches for each trailer-vehicle combination. But with an adjustable trailer hitch, you’ll be able to easily adjust the hitch to accommodate various towing applications.
The only risk associated with adjustable trailer hitches is that it involves many moving parts. This means there’s a higher risk of it breaking or the parts needing replacement. But before this discourages you from getting an adjustable trailer hitch, know that this risk can be managed by proper use and maintenance.
Before you buy an adjustable trailer hitch
When choosing an adjustable hitch, it’s important to take note of the hitch class and the weight it is designed to carry. Just because you have an adjustable trailer hitch doesn’t mean you can haul just any trailer without double-checking these specs. Also, since the presence of many moving parts could be a source of problems in the future, it is advisable to purchase a strong adjustable hitch to avoid such issues.
There are five classes of hitches as per industry standards. The weight distribution is:
- Class 1 – Up to 2000 lbs. It is ideal for compact, full size, and CUV models.
- Class 2 – Up to 3500 lbs. It is ideal for full size, CUV, and SUV models.
- Class 3 – Between 3500 to 12,000 lbs. It is ideal for a CUV, SUV and ½ ton truck.
- Class 4+5 – Between 8000 to 20,000 lbs. It is ideal for ½ ton trucks and heavier vehicles.
Pros of adjustable trailer hitches
Here are the advantages you’ll enjoy with a good adjustable trailer hitch:
Perhaps the biggest pro of using an adjustable trailer hitch over a fixed one is being able to adjust the height of the hitch up and down. Most adjustable trailer hitches use the ball and pin method to accommodate various hitch heights. Good adjustable hitches also don’t require extra lubrication or grease to remove and adjust the pin.
Easy to operate
A good adjustable hitch will not require lubrication each time you adjust the height. This is due to the pin and ball mechanism, which is flexible enough for the hitch to be changed effortlessly. On the other hand, fixed hitches need to be lubricated each time they’re removed from the trailer.
Cons of adjustable trailer hitches
Want to learn more about the cons? Read on.
More prone to damage
Since adjustable trailer hitches have many moving parts, they are more prone to damage if not used correctly. For instance, you could place the pin incorrectly after adjusting the height of the hitch, which can make the hitch more prone to failure since the pin could bend if not positioned correctly. So if you’re using adjustable hitches, make sure to pay close attention when you’re setting up a load.
Easier to overload the hitch
Most people wrongly assume that an adjustable hitch can be used on any trailer without considering the weight class. This misconception can lead to accidents as the hitch would fail if you tow a load that’s way too light or heavy.
The bottom line
All heavy-duty hitches are made of steel, and they often perform better in towing heavier trailer loads than aluminum hitches. The latter are generally lighter than the former which makes them easier to maneuver. However, using steel-made ditches is generally recommended simply because they’re more durable.
It’s important to understand how adjustable trailer hitches work before using them. If you’re a frequent traveler who likes to change things up, an adjustable trailer hitch provides you with a lot of customization options.
Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store service near Iowa City IA:
- A scissors jack or floor jack can be very useful in holding the hitch up in place. In many cases C-clamps can be used to clamp the hitch to the frame during installation.
- Clean out bolt holes. We recommend soaking the bolt holes on your frame with WD-40. Then take a wire brush, and scrub out the holes to free the opening of road debris and grime. This should allow the bolts to fit more easily. Because the manufacturer of the hitch will use the diameter required for your vehicle, the correct bolts should be included in the hardware kit.
- Drill holes that are either the same size as the bolt or at the most 1/16″ larger.
- When drilling, be extremely careful to avoid drilling into vehicle components which are located behind where the hole is being drilled.
- The hitch must have solid metal-to-metal contact with the vehicle attachment points. Excessive undercoating or weld on the vehicle should be removed.
Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store service near Iowa City IA: It depends on the make and model of your car, the type of tow hitch, and how much elbow grease the installation requires. For instance, some cars have no-drill installation, while others require drilling to make room for the tow hitch.
You can expect hitch installation to start around $100 and go up to $800. Keep in mind that you’ll also have to buy the tow hitch and other parts separately (which can easily run you another $150–$200).
You may already know Pep Boys as a household name for auto repair—and with an easy-to-use online appointment scheduler and a large lineup of tow hitches to choose from, it’s a reliable place for tow hitch installation too.
In our experience, Pep Boys has so-so customer service, but with locations nationwide and decent rates ranging from $50 to $250, we think it’s a solid bet. (Honestly, we’ll take a pro who knows cars like the back of their hand even if they’re not the biggest people.)
hitch installation services cost anywhere from $100 to $150 not including the cost of the actual tow hitch and other equipment.
A professional tow hitch installer offers a one-stop shop for tow hitch parts plus the installation service itself.
Here are the services you can expect a professional to perform:
- Test and confirm hitch-to-car compatibility
- Mount hitch onto car and tighten bolts
- Drill holes during installation (if necessary)
- Test and review tow hitch safety post-installation
With professional installation, you’re paying to know that your tow hitch was installed right the first time (so you don’t have to risk your trailer carrying your boat or prized ATVs coming unhitched on your road trip).
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is a tongue (in the context of trailer hitches)?
The tongue part of a tow hitch is the whole section of the hitch that couples together. It’s really just everything between the vehicle and trailer, including the ball mount, pins, receiver, and everything else.
What are the different hitch classes?
There are five types of hitch classes, ranging from a maximum trailer weight of 2,000 lbs or about 200 lbs tongue weight (Class 1) to ~17,000 lbs and 2,500 lbs tongue weight (Class 5). Learn more about the differences.
What is the GTW of a trailer hitch?
GTW stands for Gross Trailer Weight. It is the maximum weight of the trailer that the hitch will be pulling.
What is the TW of a trailer hitch?
TW stands for tongue weight. It is the max weight acting on the tongue of the trailer. The tongue is the vehicle’s side of the hitch joint.
What is the WD of a tow hitch?
WD stands for weight distribution. It means the max weight of the trailer that the hitch will be pulling with a weight distribution system.
What is the WDTW of a trailer hitch?
WDTW stands for weight distribution tongue weight. It means the max weight acting on the tongue of the hitch that the hitch will be pulling with a weight distribution system.
It means the tongue weight (TW) of a hitch with a weight distribution system.
What is a receiver hitch?
- The receiver (hitch) is the piece that connects to the chassis.
- The terms trailer hitches, tow hitch, and tow bars are used to refer to the whole system; the receiver is only a part of the whole hitch.
- The receiver is the foundation. Once installed, it may connect to a ball mount, a pintle mount, etc. Those switch out depending on the trailer. The receiver hitch stays with the vehicle.
Should I buy a car or truck with a hitch?
Absolutely! Be proactive. Sometime in the future, you’ll probably need to tow something. Having a tow bar / tow hitch / trailer hitch already installed will save you a lot of time and trouble. If you’re curious which one to buy, read this post!
What size hitch do I need for my vehicle?
When choosing a tow hitch, get the largest hitch your vehicle can take you never know what you’ll need in the future, but you’ll be as prepared as possible.
Even if you only plan to use it for one purpose now, that may change in the future. The receiver (the part of the hitch that connects to the chassis), doesn’t change, the extensions (depending on the trailer) do.
How do I install a tow hitch / trailer hitch / receiver hitch to my vehicle?
- Order the tow hitch online from Curt (our favorite manufacturers)
- When possible, match your vehicle’s make and model (but don’t worry, a multi-fit receiver works too)
- Go here are specific make and model installation guides
- Go here for the multi-fit guide
CALL US FOR:
- Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service Near Iowa City IA
- Trailer Hitch Installation
- Hitch Installation Cost
- Car Hitch Installation
- Trailer Hitch
- Installing A Hitch On A Car
- Hitch Installation
- Who Installs Trailer Hitches
- Pep Boys Hitch Installation Near Iowa City IA
- Trailer Hitch Installation
- Car Hitch Installation
- How Much Does It Cost To Install A Hitch
- Trailer Hitch Installation
- Installing A Hitch On A Car
- Tire Trailer Hitch Installation Cost
- Mobile Mechanics of Iowa City Iowa City Hitch Installation Cost
- Who Installs Trailer Hitches Near Iowa City IA
- Coralville Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- Hills Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- Iowa City Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- Johnson County Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- Kalona Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- Lone Tree Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- North Liberty Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- Oxford Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- Riverside Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- Solon Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- Swisher Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- Tiffin Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- University Heights Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- West Branch Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me
- West Liberty Trailer Hitch Installation-In-Store Service near me